History of the "Stofflerwirt"
All the way back in the 18th century - during the reign of Maria Theresia - today's "Stofflerwirt" was granted its rights as a tavern, allowing it to serve food and drinks to the public.
In those days, the community of "Feld" consisted of only 3 farmhouses. These were the "Feldnerbauer" (now the Bogensperger construction company), the "Sandergut" (now a farm building) and the "Oberfeldnerbauer", which is now the "Stofflerwirt". The owner was a certain Stefan Karner. The locals pronounced the name Stefan as "Stoff", which led to the house being known as the "Stoffler", then "Stofflerwirt".
After changing ownership on several occasions, our family finally acquired the inn in 1933. Mr. Franz Doppler purchased the property at auction and then, in 1939, built a new barn on the foundations of the old Sandergut.
The new "Stofflerwirt" was built between 1953 and 1956, going into operation in 1956. In 1970, Peter Doppler Sr. took over the business, continuing the expansion efforts. In 1980, for example, he constructed an addition on the land where the former Oberfeldnergut had stood until it was demolished in 1962. This laid the foundation for the former "Farmhouse in Feld“ becoming today's Landhotel Stofflerwirt.
Peter Doppler Jr. has run this family business with the help of his wife and parents since January 1st, 2005.
In spring 2005, we began building our suite, further raising the comforts available to our guests. We actually managed to complete this project in only 12 weeks.